Natural ways to help reduce estrogen and improve testosterone levels:
- Lose weight – More importantly, lose body fat. Excess body fat is linked to excess estrogen.
- Short, intense exercise – 8 repetitions totaling a 20 min. routine with strength training increases testosterone and reduces estrogen. Proceed with caution and under the direction of a medical professional!
- Consume ZINC – Foods such as cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, kale, brussel sprouts), shellfish, lean meat, nuts and beans. These are shown to regulate estrogen and increase testosterone.
- Avoid environmental estrogens – It’s impossible to avoid all environmental estrogens. However, avoiding meat products from animals raised with synthetic hormones is a good place to start. Plastic food wraps or food containers can leach estrogen into food. Shampoos and toiletries that contain parabens also include estrogens. Avoid these products when possible.
- Reduce soy and flax products – Both are very high in phyto-estrogens. Many scientists believe that foods containing these products increase estrogen levels.
- Reduce or eliminate alcohol intake – Alcohol interferes with liver and kidney function, which in turn affects the body’s ability to regulate estrogen, testosterone and growth hormone.
- Limit or eliminate sugar and processed foods from your diet; increase healthy fats – mono and polyunsaturated as well as healthy saturated fats; vitamin D supplementation up to 8,000 iu. daily; reduce stress (cortisol) and get a good night’s sleep.
4 oral supplements that help reduce estrogen and enhance testosterone levels:
- Zinc Orotate
- Resveratrol derived from grape skin.